Chestnut Mountain Creative School of Inquiry is located in southern Hall County. The first school building was built in the 1800′s. It was a tall, wooden, two-story building, with a rock chimney at each end. The pupils sat around a fire and studied. The first floor was a classroom and the upper was a Masonic Hall. The pupils wrote on slates, and they had very few books. One of the books used was the Blue Back Speller.
The faculty consisted of one teacher who taught all subjects for all ages. The school term was five to seven months each year. Some of the students walked as far as six miles to school.
Over the years, the community grew and a new facility was built in the 1960′s. This facility was located at 4670 Winder Hwy. in Flowery Branch. In 1996, a two-story wing was added creating a total school capacity for 550 students.
In the fall of 2008, the school moved to a new 92,500 square foot facility located at 4841 Union Church Road in Flowery Branch, GA. The new facility has the capacity to house 900 students and is Hall County’s largest elementary school facility.